Course: Information Retrieval and the Web
Prof. Jacques Savoy & Nada Naji
University of Neuchatel
Computer Science Department
The main objective of this course is to introduce the students to the problems of search engines and information retrieval (IR). IR deals with the representation, storage, organization of, and access to information items. These items could be references to real documents, documents themselves or even single paragraphs, as well as Web pages, spoken documents, images, pictures, music, video, etc. This course was the following objectives:
- to understand the underlying and hidden problems related with IR;
- to know the main IR models;
- to understand the new challenges of IR (multi-lingual, distributed, Web);
- to understand and implement a new IR model within Lucene
Practical exercises will complete the theoretical presentation.
Introduction to IR problems; Boolean and Vector-Space models and variants; Evaluation; Indexing; Probabilistic models; Distributed IR; Cross-lingual IR; Web search and challenges;
The final mark is based on both a final written exam and the results of the practical exercices.
- M. Boughanem, J. Savoy: Recherche d'information. Hermes, Lavoisier. Paris, 2008.
- C. D. Manning, P. Raghavan, H. Schutze:
Introduction to Information Retrieval. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge (UK), 2008.
- R. Baeza-Yates, B. Ribeiro-Neto: Modern Information Retrieval. ACM Press, New York (NY), 1999.
- M. Lesk: Practical Digital Librairies: Books, Bytes & Bucks. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (CA).
- Erik Hatcher, Otis Gospodnetic: Lucene in Action. Manning.
- G. Salton: Automatic Text Processing. Addison-Wesley, Reading (MA), 1989.
- W. B. Frakes, R. Baeza-Yates: Information Retrieval: Data Structures & Algorithms. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (NJ), 1992.
- K. van Rijsbergen: Information Retrieval. Butterworths, London (UK), 1979.
- Ian H. Witten, Alistair Moffat, Timothy C. Bell:
Managing Gigabytes. Compresing and Indexing Documents and Images. Morgan Kaufmann, 1989.
To download a search engine